The results of the global consultation on marriage and family from Austria, Germany and Switzerland have shown widespread Catholic disagreement with the Vatican teaching and rules on marriage and sexual matters. Formal polling in the UK indicates that results here will be very similar, but we won’t know for sure (unless there are unauthorized leaks of the information). The English bishops have reported a high level of public engagement in the process – but will not make public the content of their submission to Rome.
16,500 respond to survey on family ahead of Extraordinary Synod
The Catholic Bishops Conference of England of Wales (CBCEW) has received 16,500 responses to their survey on ‘Pastoral Challenges in the Family,’ but a spokesman for the Conference said that details of the responses will remain confidential.
“In accordance with the wishes of the Holy See, the summary of the responses sent to the Synod of Bishops is confidential,” said the spokesman.
“However, the statistical information shows a high level of engagement in the consultation process. Summary reports were received from all 22 Dioceses in England and Wales, as well as reports from the Personal Ordinariate of Our Lady of Walsingham and the Apostolic Prefecture of the Falkland Islands.”
The spokesman revealed that diocese received emails, letters and online forms from Catholics across the country, ahead of the Extraordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops which is due to take place at the Vatican in October.
The spokesman said: “Analysis of 12,266 online responses indicates that 80% of respondents were laity, 69% were married and 38% were parents. 20% of respondents were in positions of responsibility within the Church as priests, chaplains, catechists, teachers, deacons, seminarians, or pastoral assistants.
– full report at CatholicHerald.co.uk.
- Catholic Bishops Facing Sexual Realities: Now, the Naughty Swiss! (queeringthechurch.com)
- Der Spiegel: “Pope Francis’ Sex Problem” (news.queerchurch.com)
- German Bishops Agree: Sexual Doctrines Must Change! (questgaycatholic.org.uk)
- English Queer Catholics, Engaging With the Church (queeringthechurch.com)
- Swiss Catholics Reject Sexual Doctrines (news.queerchurch.com)
- The Pope’s Sex Problem: Catholic Survey Reveals Frustrated Flock (spiegel.de)
- German Bishops Release Results of Survey for Synod on Family: “Rarely Has an Institution Received Such Low Marks from Its Members” (bilgrimage.blogspot.com)
- NCR: Moral Theologians, on the Need for Doctrinal Change (news.queerchurch.com)
- Canadian church considers change to marriage canon (thinkinganglicans.org.uk)