Despite the recent rise of murders motivated by a bias against LGBT people along side increasing anti-gay measures in states such as North Carolina, the growing body of anti-discrimination laws focusing on sexual orientation afford many gay and lesbian individuals the opportunity to live their lives authentically. The same cannot be said for transgender individuals. Few laws that prevent discrimination on the basis of gender identity protect this community and allow them to express who they are in public. Because of this, trying to estimate the exact number of people who self-identify as trans-sexual remains a challenge for researchers, health providers and others working with this community.
At the 11th annual Philadelphia Trans-Health Conference, the largest trans specific health conference in the world, 2,400 participants converged to explore in a safe environment the health and well-being of transgender people, communities and allies. This year there was a strong interest in spiritual health, with over 50 spiritual activities available including interfaith workshops, film screenings, worship services, meditation/yoga and exhibition booths.
T Forward, a new initiative announced as a component of TransFaith Online‘s Interfaith Working Group, will serve as a hub for religious leaders working with transgender people and communities to share stories and to advocate for “secular” legislation. Those religious leaders present T Forward’s launching session reflected on the disconnect between national church policy that affirms those who are gender nonconforming and how local congregations implement–or ignore–these nonbinding resolutions.
-full report at The Revealer.
- What does the asterisk in Trans* stand for? And why should I use it? (queeringthechurch.com)
- Marching To Attain Justice For Trans People Of Color (lezgetreal.com)
- Transgender Rights in the Workplace Are Still Unclear (theatlantic.com)
- Why Transgender Rights Are Women’s Rights (blog-aauw.org)
- Ontario, Canada Passes Human Rights Protections For Trans People (lezgetreal.com)
- Ontario passes law to protect transgender people (cbc.ca)
- Trans people need equality to get our marriages confiscated by the state back (queeringthechurch.com)
- Senate hears first-ever testimony from openly trans person in ENDA hearing (rawstory.com)